Gather everyone up (friends and extended family might want to participate too) and create a score board. Make one with everyone's names (or even give them their own country to compete under!) and with a chart of each of the events. Be creative with the events, but be sure to make every event something active. The more you exercise during play, the better! Have prizes for the top scoring countries and even healthy snacks for the family while you compete for gold. All of these can be edited for age including the competition if you have kids of various ages (for example, get a ratio of distance to height of child for the winning ratio).
Some ideas for Olympic events
- Javelin toss: Get some pool noodles or large sticks and tape off a starting line. Farthest of 3 throws wins!
- Hula Hoop competition: See who can keep it going the longest AND who has the best trick.
- 40-yard dash: Who is fastest?
- Long jump: Set up an area for a sprinting long jump and a standing long jump.
- Discus throw: Grab a Frisbee and let them fly. Who can go the farthest? Add some exercise by having each person sprint after their own frisbee. First back gets bonus points!
- If you have sports equipment, add a soccer shoot out or a basketball competition.
- Archery: Set up a hula hoop hanging and have the participants throw a ball or a pool noddle through the hoop. How far away can you get without missing?
- One-footed race: Have participants hop for distance until they put their foot down. Farthest wins!
- Hand/head stands: Who can stay up the longest or walk the farthest?
- Crab walks and bear crawls: Take the event back to your childhood days by racing in odd stances!
- Wheel barrel race: This should be done in teams as a relay. Fastest team back to the starting point wins.
- Get creative! If you have monkey bars or a swing set, use those as events. If you have a pool, make sure to have a swimming competition. Use the items you have at home to make this a fun, competitive event that has some great workouts too. Parents: don't be afraid to get involved yourself? Who is the fasted adult?